First off, thanks to everyone for the advice about the job. I am really thinking that going back to school is not the answer. At least not going to school where I am paying for it all. I think I would be much better off to go with a company backing me. Not sure if this is a possibility with the company I’m at now. I know they would definitely pay for me to go get a higher degree in engineering but not sure how they would feel about me changing careers on their expense. Plus, I think I’m better off staying with a full time job as long as the economy is the way it is. I am still going to take the GRE Nov 15th. Not looking forward to studying but still want that as an option if I need it. Yesterday was hard because went to an assembly expo in Chicago for the night and went with another guy who just started and two supervisors in our group (not my direct supervisor though). These are the two cool younger one so I felt a little more at ease but it was still hard because the question of if I am liking what I am doing came up a few times. I hate this question because I would just love to say how I really feel but I don’t think that is an option right now if I want to keep my job. Plus the question came up if I thought about more school came up. I was honest and said probably not to further my engineering but maybe more business. I also explained how I think I am better at more project management and not so much technical but I was kind of fumbling my words. I thought this was somewhat honest. Also, I don’t think they were aware that Drew and I broke up which I am sure will come as a relief for them since now they don’t have to worry about me leaving because of that. I really think this might open up the door to me getting to travel a little more too. One of the supervisors (he was actually my supervisor as an intern) asked me if I would like to do more work like Brandon (the other one that started with me). He does more project management and went to Japan last week. I expressed interest in this so we’ll see how that works out. I also set up a meeting with a lady here at Corning who started off as a civil engineer and moved to HR. I talked to her before back in April but then my priority was moving closer to Drew and going in a totally different direction. Now I would like to talk to her to see what kind of opportunities I could have here at Corning. She is really great to talk to and has a good network so we’ll see where that takes me. Also, there is one other person I am going to talk to who is a project manager but highly involved in orientation and stuff like that. He is actually the one who got me started with recruiting and orientation and sees more of those skills I have so maybe he could help point me in the right direction.
Secondly, I am going to complain for the next paragraph…..sorry but I would rather do it here where people can decide if they want to listen instead of making the poor soul I come into contact next listen. I am so sick of hearing how busy some of my friends are. I feel like every time I see some of them here, all I hear about is how they are so busy. I can definitely understand being busy, who isn’t these days, but the things they are busy with are not that difficult. If they would just stop for two seconds and think about other people, they would realize that EVERYONE is just as busy as them and although what they are doing might be challenging for them, some of use have other things we have to worry about. For example, I have a friend who bitched about her job her because she was just an admin contractor and no one appreciated her and she was much more capable of doing more. Now she has a job with Corning with a little higher of a title and can’t handle it. Or at least that is what I get from her complaining how busy she is all the time. Before she would just surf the Internet all day so I guess actually having to do work is big change for her. Just a few minutes ago, she was complaining she has to set up a poster session and it took her 5 hours to do it! And then she has to attend that for a good part of the day but will only be working 8-3 and then is going home to drink wine. I’m sorry but taping up posters and standing by a poster and eating food is not that difficult! Plus the rest of us will be working all day! I feel like I’m not working enough if I’m just here 8-5 while eating lunch at my desk! I’ve decided I’m going to try really really hard to just let this slide when I hear it. Usually, when I hear someone complaining like this, I would love to set them in their place and make them realize it could be worse but maybe this isn’t the best approach because then I’m no better then them. Instead, I’m going to try really, really hard to just keep my feelings to myself, and by myself I mean in my head or on this blog! : )
Lastly, it’s almost FRIDAY! This is going to be a fun weekend for me! Starting off with a bacholette (sp?) party tomorrow night and then a wine tour all day Sat. Get on the bus at 8 am, go to 4 wineries, lunch and then get dropped off at 6 w/ a bottle of wine for just $30! Can’t beat that! Although I will be sad that Vic won’t be there with me this year!
15 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment